Republicans are going to war with Twitter after the platform froze the Mitch McConnell re-election account this week because the campaign posted a video of threats directed at the Senate majority leader, just as President Trump is planning a separate crackdown on left-wing social media bias.
The National Republican Senatorial Committee on Thursday said it won’t spend money on Twitter until the situation is “adequately addressed.” A top official with the Republican National Committee also said the RNC and the Trump campaign would not spend money with Twitter “until they address this disgusting bias.”
The @GOP and @TeamTrump stand with the @Team_Mitch and the @NRSC. Any future ad $ either organization was planning to spend with @Twitter has been halted until they address this disgusting bias. https://t.co/IVXjjDkizA
— Richard Walters (@rww_gop) August 8, 2019
Meanwhile, the White House for weeks has been hinting at possible action in relation to how social media outlets treat conservatives. A White House official told Fox News the administration is “exploring all policy solutions.” The administration has circulated drafts of a possible executive order from Trump, following a summit last month where he met with conservative social media influencers, according to Politico.
“If the internet is going to be presented as this egalitarian platform and most of Twitter is liberal cesspools of venom, then at least the president wants some fairness in the system,” a White House official told the outlet. It is unclear what the order will entail or how it would aim to curb social media bias but it reportedly deals with other issues as well.
Read more at foxnews.com.