Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters Thursday he has signed orders to send what has been estimated to be up to 4,0000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan.
Mattis would not reveal exact numbers, but in the past, officials have said Mattis was granted authority by President Donald Trump to send up to about 4,000 troops to the Middle Eastern country. Mattis had not acted upon that authority, pending Trump’s decision on strategy.
Trump indicated last week the United States would ramp up its engagement in Afghanistan in the face of a resurgent Taliban.
Mattis shared few details Thursday, but said he would brief Congress on the deployment when it returns from its August recess next week.
Read more at Western Journalism.